The windmill overlooks the village from the north and commands far-reaching views over the Walland marshes to the English Channel coast.
It is a fine example of a Kentish smock mill and was initially one of a pair of windmills standing on this site, known locally as ‘The Twins’.
Now almost completely restored to a working condition by local craftsmen and enthusiasts, the mill is a familiar local landmark which can be seen for many miles.
The first records of a windmill in Woodchurch are from 1660, with the earliest accounts of a windmill on this site dating from 1729. Grinding continued commercially by the surviving mill until 1926 after which time both mills fell into disrepair. The ‘twin’, known as ‘The Black Mill’, was used as an observation post by the military throughout the First World War and survived until 1940. Unfortunately the only signs of its existence today are a few pieces of its brick base that have been incorporated into a landscaped domestic garden. The remaining ‘White Mill’ has undergone a number of discrete periods of extensive renovation since 1946 and through the constant work of the Woodchurch community it once again stands proudly overseeing the village.
Woodchurch is 7 miles from the market town of Ashford and 5 miles from the Cinque Port town of Tenterden.
Sundays and Bank holidays throughout the summer
1pm till 5pm
Group visits available at other times by prior arrangement.
Ample parking in the village with access by footpath between the Six Bells and Bonny Cravat public houses.
Disclaimer: The information on this leisure attraction was presented with the best of intentions. Any reported errors will be corrected immediately. People interested in contacting the above leisure attraction should confirm for themselves the accuracy of any data presented.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015