The Tudor Rose Hotel
An introduction to The Tudor Rose Hotel
Built around 1500, the Tudor Rose Hotel is situated in the old town of King’s Lynn. 14 letting rooms and licensed bar rooms from £45 per night.
Built around 1500 by a local merchant, the Tudor Rose Hotel is situated in the old town of King’s Lynn where the old town wall surrounded this historic port town. The timber framed and jettied street frontage contained a shop below and a living room above. Behind this street range was the main house or hall, accessed by the passage which still has its original door.
The Tudor Rose was a typical of almost all medieval merchant houses of King's Lynn in being ‘L’ shaped. The back bar today is the stem of the ‘L’ or the main house.
Alternations date from the time of Elizabeth I with the plan to make the house more comfortable and fashionable. Classical columns and a wooden canopy were added to the front door.
A darker more mysterious side to the hotel is that some believe it to the most haunted place in King’s Lynn with a number of ghosts. The hotspots are the restaurant the back bar and room 7.
One named ghost is that of the Grey Lady known to haunt the restaurant. Rumour has it that she was killed by her newly wed husband, the reason for which is disputed.
Situated near the Tuesday Market Place as well as famous for its market and a fair every year the market place was also the place for public execution and the burning and hanging of witches. One story that has been told in Lynn for many a year is the story of a hanging of a witch where her heart burst out of her body onto a building facing the square now in St Nicholas street . Today there is a carved sign in the shape of a heart which represents where the so called ‘witches’ heart landed on the wall.