Stanway House and Fountain
Stanway house is located near the village of Stanton in the small hamlet of Stanway. It is an outstanding example of an English Jacobean manor house; built of mellow Cotswold limestone between 1580 and 1640 by the Tracy's of Stanway.
Stanway is an outstandingly beautiful example of a Jacobean manor house, owned by Tewkesbury Abbey for 800 years then for 500 years by the Tracy family and their descendants, the Earls of Wemyss.
The house is built of soft mellow yellow stone under a stone roof. The gabled west front is the Elizabethan and oldest part of the house and includes the hall. The great hall is extraordinarily light and airy having an enormous full height bay window and further bays at the south end. It has been described by Fodor's guide as "as perfect and pretty a Cotswold manor house as anyone is likely to see".
The House and grounds are now the setting for a 300ft single jet gravity fountain - the tallest fountain in Britain and the tallest gravity fountain in the world.
Click HERE for a location map.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015