Sandwich White Mill
White Mill was built in 1760 and still has most of its original wooden machinery.
The Engine House, restored in 1995, contains a Lister petrol engine which can be used to drive a Plate Mill to grind corn into flour. White Mill is a smock mill which retains its original wooden machinery and was restored between 1960 and 1961 by millwright Vincent Pargeter. Although not a working windmill the machinery is kept in top condition and the sails have just been refitted. Visitors are able to go inside the windmill and view displays of agricultural machinery and equipment in the base, as well as seeing the actual mill machinery.
The Miller's Cottage, built in the 1830s, and outbuildings are a rare survival of a complete milling site. Run for almost 100 years by the Stanley family, the windmill was supplying flour and animal food throughout the Victorian era, and worked on until 1957.
The Museum is housed in the Miller's Cottage and other buildings surrounding the mill. There are exhibits of Farming and Craft tools, Kitchen & Laundry equipment, plus a complete Wheelwright's workshop and a Blacksmith's workshop complete with forge. Photographs show Victorian Farm workers and local people 100 years ago and there are many displays of agricultural and other craft equipment.
White Mill Rural Heritage Centre has a meeting room seating around 25 people and free adjacent parking.
Opening Times (please check before visiting)
Easter to mid September:
Sunday Mornings 10.30am - 12.00 noon
Sundays & Bank Holiday Mondays: 2.30pm - 5.30pm
Friday Mornings: 10.00am - 12.00 noon
All other times by appointment:
Contact Tel: 01304 612076
Our address is:
White Mill Rural Heritage Centre
Disclaimer: The information on this leisure attraction was presented with the best of intentions. Any reported errors will be corrected immediately. People interested in contacting the above leisure attraction should confirm for themselves the accuracy of any data presented.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015