Royal Bath and West Showground
...world class shows and events throughout the year at one of Britain’s premier showgrounds.
Come and enjoy one of the interesting and informative shows, displays and events taking place at the showground which provide a great day out for families and people generally interested in the rural way of life or those who just want something different.
The showground is a 240 acre site near Shepton Mallet owned by The Royal Bath and West of England Society, a Somerset based charity formed in 1777 whose aim is to encourage agriculture, arts and commerce.
It is known mainly for the famous Royal Bath and West Show held during the spring half term which is the country’s premier agricultural show with many exhibits, shows and demonstrations for all ages, although there are plenty of other shows taking place throughout the year.
A taster for what is in store at the Royal Bath and West Show, the highlights from the last show included:
- The finest livestock being shown including cattle, pigs, goats, sheep and alpacas as well as a small animal and bird zone
- Lady’s day for the fashion conscious and a chance to win best hat or best dressed
- Cheese show and tasting of some of the finest cheeses. Be amazed at the cheese sculptures too.
- Imagineering fair to explore the possibilities of science, engineering and technology.
- 4 x 4 off road experience for the adrenalin junkies
- Showing, Show jumping horses and pony club mounted games
- Watch in awe of the speed of the Sheep shearing competition which includes spinning and weaving demonstrations
- Farming for the family where children can watch milking demonstrations and experience feeding time for chickens and collect eggs to eat in the famous Farmhouse Kitchen
- Falconry displays, gun dogs and terrier racing in the Countryside arena as well as kayaking and canoeing in Canoe Village
- Traditional events on the village green
- A celebration of cider with a chance to take part in tastings with the experts
- Watch floral art demonstrations in the Floral Marquee
- Visit the Art Pavilion and view the entries all of which are for sale
- See the working countryside with heavy horses pulling logs and learn about the secret life of bees in the Bees and Honey tent.
With so much to do you will need a lot more than a days visit. Check out the website for details of the next show.
Other events and exhibitions at the showground include:
National Gardening Show held in September. An ideal day out for gardening enthusiasts with floral halls, talks and shows
- The Dairy Show held in October is an exhibition of top quality cattle
- The Agriculture Machinery and Equipment Show held in February has plenty of exhibits and demonstrations of top of the range and new equipment
- The South West Model Engineering and Making and Hobbies exhibition
- Various Antiques and Collectors fairs
- Rock Gem and Bead shows
- Toy and Train Collectors fair
With so much on offer there is something for everyone so look out for the next show and check the website for details of times and prices.
Some of the venues are also available to hire for that impressive location for your next event of conference.
Royal Bath & West of England Society,
Enquries: 01749 822200
Other attractions in the area:
East Somerset Railway
Somerset Rural Life Museum
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015