Parish Church of St. Mary’s in Cromford
...standing prettily near the banks of the Derwent
Cromford’s Parish Church of St Mary, built on the orders of Sir Richard Arkwright in 1797, stands below Willersley Castle. It is mainly in the Perpendicular style and contains the tomb of the man who put Cromford so firmly on the map.
The Parish Church of St. Mary’s sits on Mill Lane in Cromford
Originally planned by Arkwright as a chapel for Willersley Castle, St. Mary’s was completed five years after his death in 1797.
In 2002 the church closed for four months while extensive rerfurbishments were carried out, and was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Derby in April 2002.
The Arkwright family are buried in the small graveyard, and Sir Richard Arkwright himself is buried beneath the chancel.
The church's interior is beautifully decorated with murals and stained glass by the esteemed Victorian artist A. O. Hemming.
Priest: Nick Grayshon
Associate Minister: Rev Julie Stanton
Churchwardens: Jo Housley and Thomas Bradley
- 01629 582947
Winter: Sunday Service 9.30 a.m.-10.30 a.m
Summer: Daily (June-August) 10 a.m.-12 p.m
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015