Parish Church of St Giles in Hartington
...13th century marvel
The hill-top Parish Church of St Giles is one of the most interesting in the Peak District, with a two-storey porch, a cruciform transept and aisles dating mainly from the 13th and 14th centuries.
Inside the church is an unusual effigy of a lady thought to be Margaret de Ferrers, Countess of Derby, which dates from the early 13th
century. It was discovered during restoration work and only the head and feet of the countess are on view.
Also inside the church are medieval wall paintings depicting the twelve tribes of Israel.
The church underwent a major restoration by Norman Shaw in 1873, but the massive crocketed and pinnacled 15th
century Perpendicular west tower still stands watch over the village of Hartington
as it has done for six centuries.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015