A pretty village on the North Norfolk coast with a golden, blue flag beach stretching for miles. Fresh sea breezes off the North Sea remain as invigorating as ever and make Mundesley a great place to stay.
Like most places in England, Mundesley has its place in the the Domesday Book. It was then known as Museleai and was one of the many areas given by William the Conquerer to William de Warenne in gratitude for his allegiance.
According to the census of 1841, Mundesley had a population of 453 persons, by the time of the 1901 census the population had grown to become a village of 682 people. The railway arrived in 1898 and closed in 1964 , part of the old railway track now provides for a beautiful walking area in Pygneys Wood in nearby Knapton. Of the old station, nothing remains.
In the 1890s, the main hotel in Mundesley was the Royal Hotel much of which dates back at least 300 years. In the late eighteenth century it was known as the 'New Inn' and it was here that Admiral Lord Nelson is alleged to have stayed whilst attending Paston Grammar School in North Walsham. He left at the age of 12 to join the Royal Navy and the rest is history!
Today Mundesley is well served by local shops situated in the compact high street, the village has lost none of its old world charm with thatched roofs, stone walls and many quaint cottages.
A coastal village in the north of the county of Norfolk, it is 20 miles (32km ) north east of Norwich and 7 miles (11km) south east of Cromer.
ACTIVITIES & ATTRACTIONS
-located just to the south of Cromer, the Zoo is home to a wide range of animals from Tropical South America including Jaguar, Otters, Spider Monkeys and Flamingos. The Zoo is open all day every day.
Aylsham Fun Barns –
provides fun for children under 12 where they can Swing, climb, slide, balance and clamber on the outdoor play frames.Picnic areas are also available and all play areas are easily accessible for wheelchairs and buggies. Located on the A140 at the Aylsham roundabout - between Norwich and Cromer.
– Housed in a row of Victorian cottages, the museum has displays of geology, archaeology, photographs of old Cromer, lifeboat men, poppyland and a feature on Cromer at war. The museum is open daily from 10am and is located on Tucker Street.
– The museum tells the story of Henry Blogg, who has been dubbed the greatest lifeboat man of all time. Open daily from 10am (closed Mondays) located on the Gangway.
- a lovely East Norfolk village, home to a long sandy beach, Happisburgh has two key buildings of interest amongst its quaint country lanes and thatched homes. Overlooking the sea is the church of St Mary's. It has a tower of 33.5 metres (110 feet) and inside it contains some medieval features, stained glass windows. The church graveyard contains the graves of sailors drowned in accidents off the coast of Happisburgh. The village is also home to a red and white striped lighthouse, built in 1791; it was originally one of a pair, and was recently featured in the ITV series Kingdom
. The lighthouse is privately owned, but opens its doors to the public certain weekends including Easter and August Bank Holiday. Inside, the 96 stone steps wind their way up the inside to the light at the top 40 metres (134 feet) above sea level.
East Ruston Olde Vicarage Gardens
- now 15 years old, the gardens are a feast of formal design, and decorative exuberance. The gardens are home to many linked and themed gardens, an exotic garden, sunken garden, vicarage house and pavilion, great views of Happisburgh lighthouse and church and even have a tearoom.
East Ruston can be found just off the Walcott to Stalham road. The gardens are open on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays from 2.00pm to 5.30pm.
Mundesley Maritime Museum
– Former coastguard building containing photographs, prints and various artefacts demonstrating Mundesley’s maritime and village history. Open Fri to Mon 11am to 4pm.
– Four floor restored tower windmill, all accessible to the public with gift shop selling exclusive souvenirs.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015