...a beautiful hillside Italianate garden and Manor house
Peace and tranquillity abound in this delightful hillside location on the steep valley slopes of the Frome river where quiet public footpaths offer a complete escape from the hustle and bustle of modern life.
Although the area has been occupied since Roman times, the original Manor house is medieval in origin however the current facade was added in the 18th century at the same time that the hanging gardens above the house were planted.
The architect and landscape gardener Harold Peto lived here from 1899 to 1933 during which time he built up an extensive collection of plants and artefacts from his travels. Peto had a love of the Italianate style which is very evident all around Iford. He created a cloister known as his ‘Haunt of Ancient Peace’ where he displayed many of his best items and which is now used as the backdrop for opera and other musical events. During the summer there are a series of opera, jazz and 3-to-tea concerts held with both amateur and professional performers attending.
In amongst the steps, terraces and sculptures there are magnificent views of the valley and many plants of interest such as the Wisteria sinensis and Cupressus sempervirens to brighten up any visit.
The garden is only open to the public at specific times so please check direct for further details.
Other attractions in the area:
Roam n Baths and Pump Room
Stoney Littleton Long Barrow
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015