Holy Trinity Church in Tansley

...peering over the village

Halfway along Church Street, built on a slight rise, the Anglican Holy Trinity Church looks down on the village.


The church, designed by John Mason of Derby and built of locally quarried stone was completed in 1840.

It is a neat structure in the Gothic style, with a pinnacled tower and buttresses. 

The church contains many interesting features and has two very different stained glass windows. A smaller one behind the pulpit erected in 1896 to the memory of Childers Radford JP, is traditional in style and depicts Jesus as the Good Shepherd. 

Brodie Mass

The larger window on the south wall was erected in memory of the Revd Brodie Mais and his wife Hannah by his son Stuart in 1941. This beautiful window depicts the Archangel Uriel and was designed by Ford Madox Brown. Brodie Mais was a very interesting character.

He came to the village from Knighton as a sickly young rector in 1890, but his health improved somewhat and he died still in office at the age of 81 after serving the parish for 51 years. Brodie Mais was much loved by the people of Tansley, he had a great sense of humour and many tales are still told about him.

He played the double bass in the Tansley Orchestra and founded a Rifle Club in the village. He loved his country and was very patriotic during the 1914-18 war.

He was the first to don the uniform of the home guards and also proved to be a capable recruiting officer, one week alone six young men from the district were said to have joined the services through his influence!

The parish of Tansley is a combined benefice with the parish of All Saints, Matlock Bank and is in the Deanery of Wirksworth and the Diocese of Derby.



Contact details:

 

Revd Richard Reade
All Saint's Vicarage
Smedley Street
Matlock
Derbyshire
DE4 3JG

Tel: (+44) (0)1629 584107 
e-mail:   richardreade@btinternet.com





 

Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015