Herne Windmill stands on a site that has had a mill for 600 years according to ancient Canterbury and County records.
This relatively recent traditional Kentish Smock Mill stands on a high down overlooking the village of Herne, on the outskirts of the seaside town of Herne Bay.
Herne Mill is equipped with three pairs of millstones: two pairs of French Burrs and a pair of Derbyshire Peak Stones. The refurbished sweeps (or sails) here have only half the number of shutters of the original mill. The present windmill has been in place since 1789 and was built by the miller Job Lawrance. The mill remained in the Lawrance family for a century until 1879 when it was bought by one Thomas Wootton. It was still used for milling of cereal grains until the turn of the 19th century. The Wootton family continued its ownership, milling animal feed by wind power until 1952, then by electricity with a flail mill until 1980. The mill is now owned by Kent County Council and run by the 'Friends of Herne Mill'.
Opening Times (please check before visiting)
Open April to September: Sundays and Bank Holidays 2pm to 5pm.
July and August: Thursdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays 1.30pm to 5pm.
A guided tour of the mill is given as you climb the steep stairways to the cap.
Off Mill Lane, Herne. From the A291 (Herne Bay to Canterbury), turn into School Lane on reaching Herne Village. The windmill is signposted from the bottom of Mill Lane travelling east after taking the slip road to Herne, from the junction with the A291 travelling east and west and from the A291 if coming from the south.
Tel: +44 (0)1227 361 326
Disclaimer: The information on this leisure attraction was presented with the best of intentions. Any reported errors will be corrected immediately. People interested in contacting the above leisure attraction should confirm for themselves the accuracy of any data presented.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015