Greenhalgh Castle dates back 1490 and was built by Thomas Stanley to defend his estates around Garstang.
Greenhalgh castle was built on land which was a gift to Stanley from his step son Henry Tudor for his help in defeating Richard 111 at the Battle of Bosworth Field.
The castle was beseiged by Cromwell's army in 1646, who ordered the castle to be dismantled. Of the four towers, today just the lower part of one of the towers remains although many local farmhouses have incorporated the stones into their buildings.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015