Glemsford aea guide - Suffolk
Glemsford is a pretty little village which sits on a small hill above the River Stour and the River Glem, from which it takes its name. It is an ancient village dating back to Domesday and earlier. It has been possible to trace the history of the village by the variety of its buildings and fieldnames.
Park Farm for instance takes its name because its land was once the deer park for the Abbot of Ely, in whose gift the village was.
The village church which is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin is of a fine structure and is a good example of a church that benefited from the successful East Anglian wool trade of the late middle ages.
There are also examples of English domestic architecture from across the ages to be found in the village including on Bells Lane a structure of the horse hair weaving factory which prospered in the 19th Century. There are also several fine hall houses as well as a wide range of modest weavers cottages. On Chequers Lane, a silk weaving operation still continues, having first arrived in Glemsford in the 1820's, from Spitalfields.
Other examples of medieval Suffolk can be found in the slightly larger villages in nearby Lavenham and Long Melford.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015