Peak District Driving Tour
..but not on a Sunday please!
A sixty mile circular drive passing through some beautiful and often lesser known Peak District scenery
Allow three and a half to four hours with lunch and scenery stops!
Alternatively, combine it with some of the attractions listed below for a great full day out!
From the roundabout in the centre of Bakewell take the A6 signed for Matlock.
- After 1.7 miles pass Haddon Hall on your left.
- Continue along the A6 signposted Chatsworth arriving at Rowsley and passing the Peacock hotel on the left.
- Take the next left turn signposted Beeley/Chatsworth before passing the Peak Village shopping centre on your left.
Continue for almost a mile before passing the village of Beeley on the right.
- Continue into the Chatsworth Estate 1 mile further on passing over the packhorse bridge.
Pass the garden centre on the left, then Chatsworth House comes into view on the right.
- Continue forwards passing the hamlet of Edensor and its church on your left as you exit the park. CAFE IN EDENSOR.
Follow the signs for Chatsworth Farm Shop turning left at a sign for Pilsley (B6048).
- Quite soon turn right into the village of Pilsley at a point opposite the Farm Shop.
Continue through the village passing the Devonshire Arms on your left as you descend to eventually rejoin the main road.
- Turn left at this junction following the Baslow sign.
At the next roundabout turn right signed Chesterfield (A619).
- Pass the Cavendish Hotel on your right and continue through the village of Baslow to the next roundabout.
- Take the first left signposted Sheffield (A621).
- Continue for 1.4 miles to a crossroads turning sharp left onto an unsigned road.
Drive along this straight road for 1 mile to Curbar Gap car park. VIEWPOINT.
- Descend almost 1 mile to crossroads turning right into a road later identified as ‘the hillock’.
Continue to main road junction 8/10th’s mile ahead.
- Bear straight across into Froggatt lane descending to, and turning sharp left over, the tiny bridge before climbing 3/10th’s mile to the main road...
Take a right signed Hathersage and continue into Grindleford.
- Take a left turn signed Hathersage (B6001) and then first left soon afterwards.
- Climb steeply until a mast comes into view before Ladywash Farm is passed on the right.
- Take the next right signed Bretton continuing for 1.6 miles to pass by the Barrel Inn. VIEWPOINT.
Shortly after take the fork on your right onto an unsignposted road.
- Take the right-hand turn signposted Abney/Gliding Club continuing past the club then onwards for 1.1 miles to the hamlet of Abney.
Continue for 1.7 miles, Hathersage coming into view before descending to a junction opposite the Plough Inn.
- Turn left and pass a cutlery outlet on your right (David Mellor).
- Continue into Hathersage turning left at the sign for Castleton(A6187).
Continue for 6 miles along the Hope Valley to Castleton.
After exiting Castleton take a left fork climbing steeply through what’s known (but not signed) as Winnats Pass.
- After 1 mile turn left at the sign for Sparrowpit.
Continue for 2.8 miles to a junction on a bend next to a pub.
- Turn left following the sign for Chesterfield and continue into the village of Peak Forest 1.5 miles ahead.
Follow the right turn signposted to Smalldale/Wormhill for 7/10th’s mile before forking left to Wormhill.
- Continue to the hamlet of Wormhill before descending into Miller's Dale. PUB IN MILLER'S DALE.
At the ‘give way’ signs turn right following the sign for Bakewell.
- Ascend for 1 mile before turning left following signs for Priestcliffe/Taddington.
After 7/10th’s mile turn left onto the busy A6 for a few hundred yards before turning right into the village of Taddington.
- Take the next right signed Flagg before climbing out of the village. VIEWPOINT.
Continue for 1.4 miles to a ‘give way’ sign and turn left for Sheldon.
- The remains of Magpie Lead mine come presently into view.
- Continue to another sign marked Sheldon and turn left.
- Drive through the unannounced hamlet of Sheldon passing the Cock & Pullett on your right hand side. PUB OPEN ALL DAY EVERY DAY.
- Continue for 1/2 mile to a left turn signposted to Ashford.
- Descend 8/10 th’s mile until the busy A6 is reached.
- Turn left before soon turning right into Ashford-in-the-Water village.
Ignore first sign for Monsal Head at a green island and follow signs for Bakewell.
- Passing the church on your left take the next left signed Monsal Head.
- Continue ahead to eventually reach Monsal Head car park and hotel. VIEWPOINT.
- Exiting the car park turn left to rejoin the road signed Wardlow (B6465).
- Continue for 1.5 miles to a sign for Foolow at which you should turn right.
- Continue for 7/10th’s mile then turn right at a sign for Longstone Edge.
- Ignore left hand track after 3/10th’s mile but continue upwards and over a cattle grid.
- Pass Longstone Moor farm on your left before arriving at Longstone Edge. VIEWPOINT.
Descend the narrow lane until you reach a junction.
- Bear left signposted Rowland and into the village of Great Longstone. Drive on to pass under a bridge before taking an immediate left signposted Baslow and left again onto the main road.
- Continue for 6/10th’s mile to a roundabout where you turn right following the sign for Bakewell.
- Pass the ‘Hassop Station Cafe’ immediately on your left and continue to a junction and ‘give way’ sign.
Turn right following signs for Town Centre and the end of the drive!
- What you will need:
A very good map! A good navigator! Patience! Binoculars! Camera! Mobile ‘phone!
Recommended scenic/picnic stops:
Chatsworth Park (parking near the garden centre) / Curbar Gap / Bretton / Monsal Head (very popular) / Longstone Edge (very peaceful)/
- Places to stay: For the best choice of Peak District accommodation please check out this website!
- Recommended pub stops (no, not ALL of them!):
Devonshire Arms, Pilsley / Barrel Inn, Bretton / Plough Inn, Hathersage / Old Hall Hotel, Hope / Peak Hotel Castleton
Cock & Pullet, Sheldon / Crispin Inn Great Longstone, White Lion Great Longstone /Bulls Head, Ashford-in-the-Water/The Ashford Arms, Ashford in the Water
Chatsworth House / Haddon Hall / Peak Village shopping centre, Rowsley / Chatsworth Farm Shop, Pilsley / David Mellor Cutlery, Hathersage /
The Caverns and Peveril Castle at Castleton / The Donkey Sanctuary nr Wormhill / Bakewell Pudding shops in Bakewell.
Tea and Coffee stops:
Chatsworth garden centre / Goose Green Tea Rooms, Baslow / Wormhill / Ashford –in-the-water / Monsal Head etc
More photographs of the Peak District
Last Updated: 14 May 2017