Church of St Michael and All Angels in Hathersage
...where Little John rests
The Church of St Michael and All Angels stands high on a hillside above the Derbyshire town of Hathersage.
The Eyre family features strongly in the monuments in Hathersage parish church, which stands apart from the main village on its hill-top site.
The church itself has a battlemented 15th century Perpendicular tower with a graceful spire but dates mainly from the 14th century. The east window, with its stained glass by Thomas Kempe, was taken from the church at Derwent when it was submerged under the rising waters of the Ladybower Reservoir, further up the Derwent valley.
The brasses to the Eyre family in Hathersage church are among the finest in the Peak, and one of the best is that of Robert Eyre, complete in his plate armour, who died in 1459, and the hall-builder, Robert Eyre, dating from around 1500.
Outside the south door of the church, you can see what is reputed to be the grave of Little John, Robin Hood’s loyal henchman, who was a nailmaker alleged to have been born and bred in Hathersage.
The 'grave' has been adopted by the Ancient Order of Foresters, who come to pay an annual tribute. Sadly, there is no conclusive historical evidence that Little John – nor indeed Robin Hood – ever existed, although believers will also point to Robin Hood’s Cave on nearby Stanage Edge.
Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015