Carreg Cennen Castle Llandeilo

Introduction

The distant view of Carreg Cennen from the road between Llandeilo and Crosshands epitomises the romantic idea of a castle. Its outline is what a castle of the film world should look like. The reality is that the stone castle we see today – this veritable eagles nest, is a native Welsh castle built between 1283-1321 on a high precipitous limestone peak commanding a view of the surrounding land and boasting of its power. The site had been used for defence since Roman times.

This is a castle of a single ward. It has round towers at the side facing the ascent on the north front with a square tower at its north/east angle and another square tower projecting from the middle of the south front. None of these towers rise far above the general height of the curtain walls.

The castle has a unique feature, a long stepped passage cut in the face of the rock along the precipice, leading down to a cave, well or cistern and lighted by loopholes piercing right through the walls

The design is complex in order to fit on to its rocky base and was designed and built by John Giffard, lord of Brimpsfield in Gloucestershire. Because of his part in the rebellion against Edward 2nd his occupancy was terminated in 1321. The castle changed hands many times until in August 1462 Sir Roger Vaughan of Tretower ordered its demolition.

Again the castle changed ownership a number of times until in 1932 John Campbell, ancestor of the Earls of Cawder, placed Carreg Cennen in the hands of what was then His Majesty’s Office of Works. It is now under the stewardship of CADW.


Click here for CADW's Carreg Cennen Castle


Directions

From Llandeilo take the A476 to Ffairfach – in 1/2ml at cross roads turn left then right.
Follow signs to Trapp – castle in 3mls

Entry and Admission Prices

Parking, refreshments available, toilets, shop, guidebook

Adult - £3.50, Concession - £3.00, Family - £10.00

Spring Opening Times:
1.04.07 - 31.10.07: 9.30 - 18.30

Summer Opening Times:
1.04.07 - 31.10.07: 9.30 - 18.30

Autumn Opening Times:
1.04.07 - 31.10.07: 9.30 - 18.30

Winter Opening Times:
1.11.07 - 20.03.08: 9.30 - 16.00

Last admission to all sites is thirty minutes before closing.

Last Updated: 28 Apr 2015